Bocas Del Toro Travel TipsNovember 27, 2013
Tens of thousands of people come to Bocas del Toro, Panama each year on vacation. It is a tropical paradise situated on the Caribbean Sea with activities for all. We are blessed with almost daily sunshine and an underwater playground that tourists find incredible. It is one of the best places to spend a holiday and with some helpful tips, your vacation will be perfect. We have put together a list of advice to share with you that will make your stay unforgettable!
- While here you will be spending a lot of time in the sun, so it is important to take precautions to avoid painful sunburn. Be sure to bring with you a sunscreen of at least SPF15 with UVA and UVB blockers. A wide brimmed sun hat and good sunglasses are good items to have in your suitcase as well. The sun is at its strongest from 11a.m. until 3 p.m. so take extra precautions during that time.
- We have a unique ecosystem here with jungles and beaches both so it is recommended that you bring an insect repellant with DEET to avoid the mosquitoes and sand flies bites that can be annoying.
- Because of our tropical location, there is a chance of rain, especially while in the jungle, so pack a rain jacket or some rain gear so not to get soaked during the surprise rain showers!
- With all the sunshine it is important to keep yourself hydrated. The water system is being improved but for now we recommend that you drink bottled water. A responsible way to do this without burdening the island with tons of small plastic water bottles to bring a refillable bottle of your own since many restaurants and hotels have filtered water with which you can pay to have your bottle refilled. Drink plenty of fluids while you are here!!
- Bocas Del Toro is still a piece of heaven that has yet to be touched with tons of pollution. Help us keep it that way. When you visit one of our pristine beaches take along an empty trash bag so you can remove any garbage that you may have. This way we can keep the natural beauty of Bocas in tact!
- Bocas Del Toro is an archipelago and all of the islands are accessible only by boat, so you will be on the water while seeing many of the sights. If you suffer from seasickness bring a motion sickness medication to avoid getting ill. It is no fun to spend your days in your hotel room.
- Since you will be on or near the water for a good part of your stay bring along a few watertight Ziploc bags to put your camera, phone and other electronic items in to keep them safe. This place is gorgeous and you want your camera working every minute so not to miss the great photo ops!
- Make a color copy of your passport to keep with you at all times. The copy serves as identification and if asked for ID it will be sufficient until you can get to your original. This copy can be kept in one of your watertight bags and is a good way to avoid any accidents.
- Swim suits and flip flop sandals are the norm around the beaches so be sure to bring plenty, but if you plan on taking one of the fascinating jungle hikes, go horseback riding or fly through the canopy on the Zipline, bring the proper shoes and a long sleeve shirt and long pants to protect yourself.
We hope these tips will help make your trip to Bocas Del Toro even more enjoyable. Looking forward to seeing you soon!